Today I had one of those bugs that starts out looking simple and keeps going deeper and deeper. Video service Kaltura has a plugin for Moodle, that just stopped working one day (no changes on the server).
- It’s throwing an exception because an expected element isn’t in the page.
- Oh, the element’s supposed to be delivered by XHR from the plugin.
- But the plugin’s code is generating correct markup…
- Why is Moodle’s function to serialize an array into a JS function call returning
nullfor that markup?
json_encodeis converting the markup string to null?
json_encodeis choking on invalid UTF-8.
- Because the markup has a right single quotation encoded in Windows-1252 :(
- And that string is coming from the Kaltura API.
So over 2 years ago someone named a video player Jim’s Test Player and over the weekend Kaltura’s API started returning that single quote in Windows-1252. We removed the quote from the name and the problem disappeared.